|
Page
|
Character
|
Quote
|
Fact/Opinion
|
|
3
|
stage direction
|
Enter ALONSO, SEBASTIAN, ANTONIO, FERDINAND, GONZALO, and others.
|
Fact
|
|
3
|
Gonzalo
|
Nay, good, be patient.
|
Opinion
|
|
3
|
Boatswain
|
When the sea is. Hence! What cares these roarers for the name of
king? To cabin: silence! Trouble us not.
|
Fact
|
|
3
|
Gonzalo
|
Good, yet remember whom thou hast aboard.
|
Opinion
|
|
3
|
Boatswain
|
None that I more love than myself. You are a counsellor; if you can
command these elements to silence, and work the peace of the present, we will
not hand a rope more; use your authority: if you cannot, give thanks you have
lived so long, and make yourself ready in your cabin for the mischance of the
hour, if it so hap. Out of our way, I say.
|
Opinion
|
|
4
|
Gonzalo
|
The king and prince at prayers! Let’s assist them, for our case is as
theirs.
|
Fact
|
|
4
|
Stage direction
|
A confused noise within: ‘Mercy on us!’—‘We split, we
split!’—‘Farewell, my wife and children!’—‘Farewell, brother!’—‘We split, we
split, we split!’
|
Fact
|
|
8
|
Prospero
|
By providence divine. Some food we had and some fresh water that a
noble Neapolitan, Gonzalo, out of his charity did give us, with rich
garments, linens, stuffs and necessaries, which since have steaded much; so,
of his gentleness, knowing I loved my books, he furnish’d me from mine own
library with volumes that I prize above my dukedom.
|
Fact
|
|
8
|
Mirander
|
Would I might but ever see that man!
|
Opinion
|
|
17
|
Stage direction
|
Enter ALONSO, SEBASTIAN, ANTONIO, ADRIAN, FRANCISCO, GONZALO, and
others.
|
Fact
|
|
17
|
Gonzalo
|
Beseech you, sir, be merry; you have cause, so have we all, of joy;
for our escape is much beyond our loss. Then, wisely, weigh our sorrow with
our comfort.
|
Opinion
|
|
17
|
Stage direction
|
To the others
|
Fact
|
|
17
|
Gonzalo
|
Methinks our garments are now as fresh as when we put them on first
in Afric, at the marriage of the kings fair daughter Claribel to the King of
Tunis.
|
Opinion
|
|
17
|
Stage direction
|
To Alonso
|
Fact
|
|
17
|
Gonzalo
|
Sir, we were talking that our garments seem now as fresh as when we
were at Tunis at the marriage of your daughter, who is now queen.
|
Fact
|
|
17
|
Alonso
|
You cram these words into mine ears against the stomach of sense.
Would I had never married my daughter there! For, coming thence, my son is
lost and, in my rate, she too, who is so far from Italy removed I ne’er again
shall see her. O thou mine heir of Naples and of Milan , what strange fish
hath made his meal on thee?
|
Opinion
|
|
18
|
Gonzalo
|
My lord Sebastain, the truth you speak of doth lack some gentleness
and time to speak it in: you rub the sore, when you should bring the plaster.
|
Fact
|
|
18
|
Stage direction
|
To ALONSO
|
Fact
|
|
18
|
Gonzalo
|
It is foul weather in us all, good sir, when you are cloudy.
|
Opinion
|
|
18
|
Gonzalo
|
Had I plantation of this isle, my lord--
|
Opinion
|
|
18
|
Antonio
|
He’d sow’t with nettle-seed
|
Opinion
|
|
18
|
Sebastian
|
Or docks, or mellows
|
Opinion
|
|
19
|
Gonzalo
|
And were the king on’t, what would I do?
|
Opinion
|
|
19
|
Sebastian
|
‘Scape being drunk for want of wine.
|
Opinion
|
|
19
|
Gonzalo
|
I’ th’ commonwealth I would by contraries execute all things, for no
kind of traffic would I admit; no name of magistrate; letters should not be
known; riches, poverty, and use of service, none; contact, succession, bourn,
bound of land, tilth, vineyard, none; no use of metal, corn, or wine, or oil;
no occupation; all mean idle, all, and women too, but innocent and pure; no
sovereignty–
|
Opinion
|
|
19
|
Sebastian
|
Yet he would be king on ‘t
|
opinion
|
|
19
|
Gonzalo
|
All things in common nature should produce without sweat or
endeavour; treason, felony, sword, pike, knife, gun, or need of any engine
would I not have; but nature should bring forth of its own kind all foison,
all abundance, to feed my innocent people.
|
Opinion
|
|
19
|
Sebastian
|
No marrying ‘mong his subjects?
|
Opinion
|
|
19
|
Antonio
|
None, man, all idle: whores and knaves
|
Opinion
|
|
19
|
Gonzalo
|
I would with such perfection govern, sir, t’ excel the Golden Age
|
Opinion
|
|
19
|
Sebastian
|
‘save his majesty!
|
Opinion
|
|
19
|
Antonio
|
Long live Gonzalo!
|
Opinion
|
|
19
|
Gonzalo
|
And do you mark me, sir?
|
Fact
|
|
19
|
Gonzalo
|
I do well believe your highness, and did it to minister occasion to
these gentlemen, who are of such sensible and nimble lungs that they always
use to laugh at nothing.
|
Fact
|
|
19
|
Antonio
|
‘twas you we laughed at.
|
Fact
|
|
19
|
Gonzalo
|
Then good my lord will you laugh me asleep? For I am very heavy.
|
Fact
|
|
21
|
Antonio
|
Draw together; and when I rear my hand, do you the like, to fall it
on Gonzalo
|
Opinion
|
|
21
|
Stage direction
|
Ariel sings in GONZALO’s ear.
|
Fact
|
|
21
|
Ariel
|
While you here do snoring lie, open-eyed conspiracy his time doth
take. If of life you keep a care, shake off slumber, and beware: awake,
awake!
|
Opinion
|
|
22
|
Gonzalo
|
Now, good angels preserve the king.
|
Opinion
|
|
22
|
Gonzalo
|
What’s the matter?
|
Fact
|
|
22
|
Gonzalo
|
Upon mine honour, sir, I heard a humming, and that a strange on too,
which did awake me: I shaked you, sir, and cried: as mine eyes open’d, I saw
their weapons drawn; there was a noise, that’s verily. ‘tis best we stand
upon our guard, or that we quit this place; let’s draw out weapons.
|
Fact
|
|
22
|
Gonzalo
|
Heavens keep him from these beasts! For he is sure, I’ the island
|
Opinion
|
|
34
|
Gonzalo
|
By’r lakin, I can go further, sir; my old bones ache: here’s a maze
indeed through forth-rights and meanders! By your patience, I needs must rest
me.
|
Fact
|
|
34
|
Alonso
|
Old, lord, I cannot blame thee, who am myself attach’d with weariness,
to the dulling of my spirits: sit down, and rest. Even here I will put off my
hope and keep it no longer for my flatterer: he is drown’d whom thus we stray
to find, and the sea mocks our frustrate search on land. Well, let him go.
|
Fact
|
|
35
|
Gonzalo
|
Marvellous sweet music!
|
Opinion
|
|
36
|
Gonzalo
|
I’ the name of something holy, sir, why stand you in this strange
stare?
|
Fact
|
|
36
|
Gonzalo
|
All three of them are desperate: their great guilt, like poison given
to work a great time after, now ‘gins to bite the spirits. I’ll follow them
and hinder them from what this ecstasy may now provoke them to.
|
Fact
|
|
45
|
Stage direction
|
Re-enter ARIEL before: then ALONSO, with a frantic gesture, attended
by GONZALO; SEBASTIAN and ANTONIO in like manner, attended by ADRIAN and
charmed; which PROSPERO observing, speaks:.
|
Fact
|
|
48
|
Gonzalo
|
Be it so! Amen! Look, sir! here is more of us. Speak boatswain thou
no mouth by land? What is the news?
|
Fact
|
Sunday, 31 March 2013
Given Circumstances
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment